Buying NERF Bars

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
EuroGOD

Buying NERF Bars

#1 Post by EuroGOD »

When buying Nerfs, what features do you guys look for?
Size, shape, net colour, weight, mounting points, price, brand?

I'd like some feedback on different brands as well as the original C'dale ones.
If there is anything that you LOVE or HATE about your nerfs, I want to hear it all.
I personally like the way the C'dale originals mount, through the frame. Anyone got any comments over whether that is a good or bad idea.

Let me know...I've got something brewing here :drink:

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

I've got the factory pegs on both mine and really like them. I will say though that I put Graydon pro-pegs (the early ones made by Xfactor) on my EX's and they seem to be a little nicer. The great thing about them is they have an extra wide stainless footpeg and it is replacable.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by Jaybr
 The great thing about them is they have an extra wide stainless footpeg and it is replacable.

That point should be strongly considered, along with the peg having a nice turn-up on the end. Stainless pegs, aluminum nerfs - pegs that are wide, strong, with a turnup, and replaceable. That would be a nice combo... smile.gif

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

X-factor all the way. I have stock on my woods bike currently, but I'm going to change them over as soon as some cash frees up.

KYmxracer52

#5 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I like a custom set of AC propegs with another peg mounted at the end of the other two. I use that part of the nerf bar a lot when cornering.

EuroGOD

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

Stainless replaceable turned-up pegs it is then...
How long and wide would you like 'em?

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I have the AC wide propegs it sure would be nice if the pegs were replacable.The propegs slightly lower and back mounting position sure helped me feel more comfortable and the wide pegs are awesome.

CdaleRacer0128

#8 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

here's the ultimate nerf bar:

what ky mxer said

double length and width pegs. take the AC propegs for example. Great width and kick up, but if they were doubled the lenght, and were steel and replaceable. they'd be the ultimate selling nerf bars to racers. IF some how you could make them strong but cheap, maybe around 300 then they'd definately sell lik ehot kakes. To get ac to make nerfs like i described ( minus the replaceable steel pegs) you need to call ac and order them specially for you.

EuroGOD

#9 Post by EuroGOD »

Here's where the real tricky questions arrive...
In the above pic, the nerfs themselfs are actually kicked up, whereas the C'dale Moto/Blaze nerfs ran parallel (flat) with the frame...
Big Spiky replaceable pegs are already planned but what about the angle of the nerfs themselves?
I have looked through various manufacturers and the majority offer the nerfs run parallel (flat) with the engine rail. Any room for improvement?

Has anyone running the stock nerfs had a problem with the black plastic insert at the front where the bars pass through the frame? I prefer this mounting system compared to bolting them to the engine mount and was thinking a nylon bush would be sufficient. Again comments would be handy.

Thanks guys.

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

What alot of people like about the extra peg on the end angled up is when you go into a corner, you can use that peg to "weight"
the bike for traction. With a standard peg, you have nowhere to apply that pressure, other than straight down on the peg, and then if it is slick, your foot is prone to slip off (hence the kickups on the ends)
If I was building the "ultimate" nerf, I would look at the X-factor, factory Cannondale, and some of the Pro's AC pegs. I think what you will find is the steel replacements are VERY nice, they mounting system of factory is nice, and the extra peg kicked up on the end of AC is also nice.
I would also look into some kind of non-intrusive heel guard, I am trying to get used to them now after my last crash over 2 months ago, and still can't walk exactly right.