Setting Toe?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Dale512

Setting Toe?

#1 Post by Dale512 »

How do I got about setting my toe?

thunderwolf

#2 Post by thunderwolf »

Kind of hard to explain. I just put one big loop around all four tires and then adjusted the toe so that the rear side of the front tires were touching the twine while the front edge of the front tires was 1/8th away from the twine. I don't know if this helps or confuses more, but thats the way I did it. Others may do it different.

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

i always used a center point on the frame, the steering stem for example. and measured out to the same points on the tire, a middle knobbie. if the backs of the tires are the same distance from your measuring point, the tires should be pointing straight. now go to the front of the bike, and pick a spot on the same tread row for each tire. measure it. now adjust the tie rod so that when you measure the distance again it is 1/8th" less than your original measurement. then do the same for the other tire. that may be more confusing than helpful. alot of times the best way to do it is to eyeball it then take it for a ride on a smooth surface and see if it wanders or pulls to one side. a slightly bent rim or tie rod, or frame can really throw any measurement out of whack.

cdalepilot

#4 Post by cdalepilot »

o..k this could take awhile to explain but here ya go (1)sit on the quad make sure your handlebars are straight ,get two tie down straps and hook one each up to your grips L& r and run back to your rear grab bar and tighten down straps, this is so your handlebars will not move while adjusting your tierods(2)loosen tie rod jamnuts,get a ruler or tape measure,at the front of each tire measure from the ground up 10 inches on center lug and mark each tire (with chalk if you have it) ,now do the same exact thing on the back tires. (3)now adjust your tie rodes hopefully in equal amounts on each side(4)now measure from marked lug to marked lug in front and then do the same in back. a good toe in is 1/4 to 1/2 inches (the lesser to be the best)the front measurement has to be 1/4 to 1/2 narrower than the back .once you get this accomplished (5)tighten down jamnuts on tierods MAKE SURE THE TIERODS DON'T MOVE DURING THIS PROCESS(6)now measure from left marked front lug to top or bottom mounting bolt on bumper do the same on the right side ,each side should be the same distance this will let you know if your handlebars are straight with your wheels for tracking . your done ! :clap:

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

cdalepilot, in step 4 i think you mean the rear measurement should be 1/4 -1/2" longer than the front measurement.

cdalepilot

#6 Post by cdalepilot »

your right ,thats what i mean. i'll go edit that. next time i'll make sure to proof read my writing.on the measurement ; like i said before ,1/4 to 1/2 is a good all around number to have for a first timer.but the ideal number to have is 1/8, like some of the other fellas said.you really got to tweak with the tierods though ,going from one side to the other and turning the tierods in small incraments and taking measurements each time.