Which upgrades for my 03 Speed? (body armor)

Plastic, skidplates, bumpers, seat covers, graphics, dress up items, nerf bars, etc.
drbowtie

Which upgrades for my 03 Speed? (body armor)

#1 Post by drbowtie »

I see these nerf-bars and think that they would be fantastic for keeping your feet and legs out of the back wheels!

However... How much of a pain are they for trail riding? You probably can't back the bike up with out getting off it can you? Does it get hooked on trees and rocks constantly? If I do alot of trail riding but not alot of jumping... Would I grow to hate them?

Also these bead lock things... I assume they keep your tires from coming off the rims? Or do they also protect these fance wheels and how difficult is installation?

Should I get one of those larger front bumpers to maintain the engines ecm integrity? Looks like if you fell asleep at the wheel and hit something with the front you could get at that ecm quite easily.

How about the factory skid plate? For trail riding... Should it have a full skid plate package that replaces the plastic swing arm one as well?

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

I do mostly trail riding and I think the nerf have helped me out. I don't remember ever getting stuck on something just because of the Nerf Bars. As for the bead locks they are there for when you get a flat the tire will still keep spinning. So you can get out of where ever you may be to address the tire later. Changing tires I think was a little easier on these once you know how to do it. I also think that your ecm is fine. If you fell asleep while at the wheel of one of these you must be dead. I have clobbered a couple of trees with mine and I must say the stock bumper did quite well until the last one. I finally crushed it. Body skids, I don't think the belly skid is worth it the bottom is pretty well protected, but it can't hurt. The rear swingarm skids are pretty beffy for stock so it is no rush if you wanted to ride it a little than switch that works. I still have my stocker on my 2002, and it now needs to be replaced. I have had it since last February. I hope this helps you out. This is just my personal opinion. GOOD LUCK

drbowtie

#3 Post by drbowtie »

My major concern with the nerf bars was tight area's and not being able to back it up without getting off machine? Which is really not a biggy when you consider they might keep you from breaking your leg!

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

I've got the Moto nerfs on mine and love them. They haven't gotten in the way in tight places at all, they actually help slide you around trees and stuff so the rear tires never get hung up. You will have to get off the quad to back up most of the time with them.

I also have PRM belly and swingarm skids, and they work great. Like Derno said, the stock swingarm skid is pretty beefy, I just prefer aluminum over plastic. I also had PRM a-arm skids on until I put on the +2 a-arms, I'm working on getting a custom set of a-arm skids now.

You can see pictures at My site

drbowtie

#5 Post by drbowtie »

Alright... So we are going to get some nerf bars. Which pair do you recommend and where should I buy them... Can I get them with heal protection? Also, I would really like yellow mesh to match my speed.

drbowtie

#6 Post by drbowtie »

What about bead locks? The reason I'm thinking about them is too keep rocks from bending the rims. Will that work?

Redman

#7 Post by Redman »

I highly recommend bead locks, at least in the back. Most rims have a single beadlock on the outer side and a reinforced ring on the inside. This helps many ways. The beadlock makes sure your tires stays on your rim, so you don't pop your bead off while jumping. It also makes it easier to change tires. Only one bead to pop. The beadlock and inner ring help so you don't bend the rim at all.

drbowtie

#8 Post by drbowtie »

Where can I get some yellow ones? Simple install?

Redman

#9 Post by Redman »

You want yellow collored rings around the beadlocks right? I only know of two companies that make yellow rings: Hiper technologies and OMF. Hiper is carbon fiber rims- sweet looking, but expensive. OMF takes douglas rims and welds his beadlocks and inner rings on them himself. Just ask them for the yellow rings. The cheapest way to go is get tires already mounted on them from the place you buy them from.
You can get either of these rims from the site sponser: The Quadshop.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

James I got the AC Propegs...They have been around for a while.